Today’s Gansevoort Market looks a lot different than when it was first established in 1884.
“During the dark hours of early morning, as hundreds of wagons of all descriptions converge upon the market regions, pandemonium reigns as traffic chokes the thoroughfares for blocks around”
- Harper’s Weekly (1888)
After a 1954 fire wiped out the original grounds, the current building was built to house the market, and now houses high-end, artisanal purveyors.
Check out the full article on Ephemeral New York for more on the history of the market.