The Mulberry Bend is the historic part of Mulberry Street in present-day Chinatown where the street curls east around the park. Before the park was named Columbus Park following a Olmstead and Vaux redesign in 1911, the area was called Mulberry Bend Park, established in 1897. Prior to that, Mulberry bend and the open square was the central fixture in the area known as The Five Points, the crime-filled neighborhood that was the subject of Scorcese's Gangs of New York movie.
This vintage photograph shows Mulberry Bend Park around 1905. Check out the specimen page on the Library of Congress Digital Archives for more.
Something wrong with this post? Let us know!