The original Pennsylvania Station was a historic railroad station, opened in 1910 and demolished a short 54 years later. Its grandeur matched or exceeded that of Grand Central Terminal, and was one of the architectural jewels of the City.
By the mid-60's however, rail traffic had declined massively due to the rise of both the airline and automotive industries, and the building was demolished so that an above-ground business complex and sports arena could be built instead.
This vintage photograph from 1915 shows the amazing building in all of its former glory, captured just a few years after the station opened to the public in 1910.
Visit the Library of Congress to download an even larger scan of this image.
Something wrong with this post? Let us know!