Grand Central Station is not only the name of the Post Office next door, but also the name of the old train station that sat on the site of where the current Grand Central Terminal sits. The current station was built atop of the old site, renamed, and reopened in 1913.
This vintage photograph shows the Terminal’s famous Main Concourse as it appeared shortly before opening to the public. Notice the Baggage Room on the far end, since replaced by a matching staircase in a mirror image of the West Stairs.
The photographer is unknown, but the original glass negative is part of the Detroit Publishing Company Photograph Collection in the Library of Congress.