On Tuesday, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced a new initiative to build and maintain 50 soccer fields across the five boroughs over the next five years.
“These new soccer fields will be essential in keeping our young New Yorkers safe, active and connected with the community,” de Blasio said. “With this partnership, we are tackling inequalities in all its forms - including in our parks and outdoor spaces.”
The first eight sites to open will be:
- J.H.S. 166 George Gershwin - Brooklyn, DOE
- Cypress Hills Houses, Brooklyn, NYCHA
- Irwin Altman Middle School 172, Queens, DOE
- South Jamaica Houses, Queens, NYCHA
- Millbrook Playground, Bronx, Parks
- Eagle Academy For Young Men Of Staten Island, Staten Island, DOE
- Harlem Lane Playground, Manhattan, Parks
- P.S. 083 Luis Munoz Rivera, Manhattan, DOE
Check out the full article for more information about the program.