On December 3rd, 1639, Jonas Bronck
purchased 50 acres of land to the north of Manhattan Island that later grew into 680 acres of farmland. People in the City
would visit the farmland for a getaway from the hustle and bustle of 17th century City life, and heading on up to the farm
would be know as "going to the Broncks". This led to the entire area, and later New York City borough, to be called "The Bronx".
Something wrong with this post? Let us know!