A recent article in the New York Times dug up this great vintage shot of the construction and installation of the “Williamsburg Conduit”, one of the nearly century-old tunnels that is still in use today to deliver water throughout the borough.
Between the completion of the first water tunnel in 1915 and the start of construction on the second in 1928, NYC built the Williamsburg Conduit to improve water distribution in Brooklyn and Queens. This photo of the conduit was taken from the Hewes St elevated train platform in 1925
Here is a Google Street View of how the same view looks today.
via New York Times