From 1874 through 1940, passengers of the Central Railroad of New Jersey that were departing or arriving from New York City would take a ferry across the Hudson River to Jersey City, where the train station was. This great vintage photograph shows the Liberty Street Ferry Terminal as it appeared back in 1938. While the station is long gone, it used to sit near the corner of West Avenue and Liberty Street in Battery Park City, where the southwest corner of the World Trace Center Plaza currently exists. Here is a map of the area from the early 1920s:
via History Porn
Something wrong with this post? Let us know!