Hook & Ladder Company No. 1 was established during British rule, on July 10, 1772. After many of its volunteer members marched off to fight in the Revolution, it was reorganized in 1784 and given the name “Mutual Hook & Ladder No. 1.” It was Mutual Hook & Ladder No. 1’s foreman who designed the fireman’s helmet with the high crown and broad rear brim in the late 1820s. It is still used today with some variations.
Check out the full article to learn more about the history of this old Tribeca firehouse.