The Staten Island Yankees have decided to throw in the towel on the age old “Yankees” name, and have opened up a vote-based competition to rename the team. After a short submission period, the top five user-submitted names have been chosen as:
- Staten Island Bridge Trolls. Bridge Trolls commemorates the iconic bridges that connect Staten Island, while embracing the kind of wacky names Minor League Baseball is known for.
- Staten Island Heroes. The Heroes honors the civil servants and military personnel of Staten Island and New York who work tirelessly to uphold our American values.
- Staten Island Killer Bees. Killer Bees pays tribute to Staten Island’s musical and cultural impact. Fans will be “buzzing” over our bee-themed promotions!
- Staten Island Pizza Rats. Like Staten Islanders and New Yorkers, these natives are tenacious, enterprising and know where to find the best food in the city.
- Staten Island Rock Pigeons. Another animal synonymous with the city, the Rock Pigeons celebrates Staten Island - known by locals as “The Rock.”
They are all incredible names, but how could you pass up naming your team, and corresponding mascot, the Pizza Rats! Place your vote now before the contest ends.