New York City has always been a city of immigrants. Using data from the NYC Planning and Comptroller Departments, the team over at Liberty Cruise recently plotted out the top-twenty countries of origin of the City's immigrant population over the past fifty years. Here are some key takeaways:
- Within 50 years, Italy has dropped from the #1 country of origin for foreign-born New York City immigrants to #20.
- There are 8.8 times more people coming to NYC from the Dominican Republic than in the 1970s.
- We also have 8.9 times more Chinese people and 4.6 times more Jamaican people.
- Island nation immigrants have increased as a whole in New York City.
- The demographics of NYC are shifting and changing, with a generally far more diverse immigrant base that the mostly European visitors of decades past.
Check out the accompanying article for more info.
via Liberty Cruise
Something wrong with this post? Let us know!