The New York City Department of Consumer Affairs’ Office of Financial Empowerment (say that 5 times fast!) has released a new interactive map online which will help you locate free tax preparation sites around the 5 boroughs. The map has
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites: At these sites an IRS-trained and certified volunteer will help you file your taxes. You must earn $53,000 or less (with children) or $18,000 or less (no children) to use this service.
- SaveUSA sites: These are VITA sites where you have the opportunity to open the City’s SaveUSA account to earn a 50% “match” – up to $500 – when you save part of your refund for a full year.
- Drop-off Service sites: At these sites you can drop off your tax documents and pick up the completed return later. Sites offering this service have varying income eligibility requirements, please refer to site details.
- Assisted Self-Prep sites: At these sites you can file your taxes online … but with some help from a certified volunteer. You must earn $60,000 or less and have a valid email address to use this service.
- AARP Tax-Aide sites: At these sites a certified volunteer will help you file your taxes. These sites offer free tax preparation for low-to-moderate-income taxpayers – especially those 60 and older.
Tax day is approaching fast, on Wednesday April 15th, so it’s time to start getting your docs in order.