Opening in June of 1909, the Queensboro Bridge is the only bridge spanning the East River that is not a suspension bridge, but rather a five-span cantilever truss. From opening day until 1931, the bridge had two large pedestrian walkways on the upper level, seen here in this great vintage photograph. As more room for cars was deemed necessary, the upper level was converted into roadways, and the two thin, shared pedestrian walkways we have today was opened on the outer edge of the lower levels, only one of which is currently in use.
Something wrong with this post? Let us know!